[THIN] Re: Hardware - Blades, SAN?

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:03:21 -0700

If you have the economy of scale, i.e. you already own a large SAN and can
simply add some blades that use it, and you need 10 or more blades, it works
out great. The problem is that when you start from scratch and have a small
number of servers, it all ends up costing more than just buying standard
servers. If you do not plan to boot from the SAN pay attention to the type
of disk drives, one of the limitations of blades has been slower hard drives
and controllers. They work great for web servers, application servers, etc.
but can limit the throughput on a busy Citrix box....

Seagate is releasing a new small form factor drive with is server class this
year, when the blade vendors adopt this they will have the next level of
drive performance available....

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd. suite D8453