[THIN] Re: Hardware - Blades, SAN?

  • From: Jeff Malczewski <jmalczewski@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:55:58 -0400

I was doing some research on the IBM HS20's, and basically, the way we
configure our servers, it would not become a cost saving (or a space saving,
etc) option until you purchased more than 7 servers..  The chassis takes up
7U, and if you divide out the cost, I could get 7 1U (x335) servers with
hardware SCSI RAID for the same money..  The HS20's only have IDE drives in
them.  If you want SCSI, the SCSI cage takes up the adjacent slot, reducing
you from 14 servers per 7U back down to 7 servers per 7U, which I can
already do now, for less $$$ than the blade solution would cost..

While they look pretty cool, and I'm sure they have their niche, they won't
see the inside of my server room until a few more generations of them have
come and gone and their featureset improves...