[THIN] Re: Hardware - Blades, SAN?

  • From: "Taylor, George" <gtaylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:36:57 -0600

We're implementing this right now.  You give up one of the on-board
drives to make space for the HBA.  What I've decided to do is boot from
the SAN and use the little on-board IDE drive for nothing but the swap
and temp files.  You can get SCSI drives on the blades, but its an
attached cage that takes up a second slot.  My testing using the HS20s,
dual Xeons, 4gig ram, booting from the FastT has shown them to be very
robust machines.  Currently we only have 1 Optical pass-thru and 1
ethernet switch installed, but you can double up on both for redundancy
if need be.  The ethernet switch gives you 4 ports that can be trunked
and plays very well with our Cisco 6500 gear, the throughput is good and
from what our networking guys say we are hardly touching the 4gig limit.
The optical pass-thru gives you a fiber channel from each and every
blade, wire management with that much fiber coming from such a little
space is a chore, but does work.

  _____