[THIN] Re: Hardware - Blades, SAN?

  • From: "Pardee, Michael P." <MPardee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:46:44 -0400

We are looking at this heavily right now.  Each year at budget time (now) I
am asked to put together my view of what our infrastructure should look
like, without regard to cost.  So each year I spend a little time with Visio
and knock something out.  My drawing this year shows lots of blades
connected to our SAN.  Now, when the costs are all flushed out of this, we
may find that connecting them to the SAN this year is not cost effective.
There are not a lot of reasons to connect a Citrix server to a SAN today.
Just my opinion.  But, the main reason I did show them connected to our SAN
is for disaster recovery.  My intention is to get to a blade environment
that does Boot From SAN.  The SAN will then be split across 2 locations /
cities.  If the funding doesn't work out for attaching the blades to the SAN
this year, we will at least be in a position where we can move blades to the
SAN slowly over time as the Business requirements justify that "live"
disaster recovery design.

By the time the drawing becomes reality I expect to have a couple racks of
blades (replacing 10-17 racks of equipment today) and a large VMWare farm.
I expect to have just a few "regular" servers for SQL and Exchange
clustering, although we are keeping our eyes on IBM's quad processor blades
as well.  That could eliminate the "regular" clusters.

   _____