[texbirds] Re: Drought and no rivers

  • From: Sean Paul Kelley <spkelley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:47:16 -0500

As Carolyn aptly notes: there are too many people. Period. The world can't
carry 8 billion. And it will not sustain an American lifestyle for all 8
billion either.
All that being said, I lived in Austin until about two months ago and I do
know far too many people who live lives like that which Joseph describes,
and while they are not the proximate cause of the problem, their ignorance
of the reality of where they live and the choices they make and the
self-righteousness they live with is, well, obnoxious and it adds to the
problem. You want to really hear so-called Austin-liberals howl? Wait til
the constant level lakes start getting drained. All those home values on
Lake LBJ will implode.

None of that matters as much as one simple fact: Texas is in a multi-year
drought that will prove just as bad, or worse than the Big One in the
fifties. We're poor stewards of the land, allowing all of this horribly
unchecked growth in Central Texas and the Hill Country and we're pretty
much getting what we deserve.

Sean Paul Kelley
Central San Antonio