[techtalk] Re: New hardware

  • From: Tim Seifert <sir_tim_seifert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:23:57 +1030

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 00:03 +0000, Andrew Davidson wrote:
> We gave up with Gigabyte at work.  Too many failures, and dealing with
> Gigabyte UK was a farce.  In finest pigeon english "Oh, we no longer
> make those board, please be purchasing <insert model here>"  Not what
> I want to hear when I've just had to order in and fit new boards to a
> whole batch of PCs, including all the onsite callouts to do so, and
> hours of faffing about because Windows XP has a heart attack because
> the board has changed.

I wonder how the office of fair trading, or whatever yours is called,
regards that sort of thing?  When you sell a product it has to work, and
you're obligated to resolve broken items under warranty.  But then you
try dealing with the seller, and they fob you off to their supplier,
who's overseas, or speaks so bad they may as well be.

There's got to be some point where that sort of thing is a breach of the
law that you can take action on...

The amount of crap I've had to deal with, with some computer suppliers,
has been really bad.  I hope I never, personally, get stuck with one of
these "no speak English" technical support people on the phone.

--
Bye,
Tim (from Modbury, near Adelaide, South Australia).