[techtalk] Re: New hardware

  • From: "Gary Colville" <ramtop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:47:32 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Davidson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:03 AM
Subject: [techtalk] Re: New hardware

Are Gigabyte still using those substandard caps? We gave up with Gigabyte at work.

They work just peachy for me :)

I use Gigabyte boards pretty much 100% because they just work - stick it in, attach everything, power up. Job done. No messing about, no wierd issues. Apart from the odd DOA they run right out of the box and pretty much always keep going without a hitch, unlike a lot of the crap boards that are floating about these days.

My no-hassle build list is fairly simple these days. Gigabyte mobo, AMD processor, Samsung HDD, Asus graphics card, Crucial memory.

All our homebuild PCs are now going out with Intel Desktop boards. AMD based machines are Epox powered.

I use them sometimes; the other week I installed one of those Epox SLI-capable Socket754 boards. Kludgy thing, but seems to go okay. The issues I have with Epox are that they're a few quid more expensive than Gigabyte and usually come in that horrible puke-green colour. Gigabyte's blue and multi-colour is much better looking. I know, shallow, but hey :)

GC