[techtalk] Re: New hardware

  • From: "Gary Colville" <ramtop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:23:41 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Ferguson" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "TechTalk" <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 5:44 PM
Subject: [techtalk] New hardware

 A colleague is looking to build a gaming PC for DAOC and
asked me to post this hardware list for your opinions so,
good or bad choices ?

Two things I'd change :

Motherboard Asus A8N-E SKT 939 NFORCE 4 AUDIO LAN PCI-Express ATX

Asus's AMD boards suck like the thick end of a jet engine. I wouldn't use one in a build even if they paid me to do it. Gigabyte are orders of magnitude better. On the rare occasions when I build an S939 PCIe system I use the K8NF-9 and haven't had a single issue with them.

Hard drive Seagate ST3200822AS Barracuda 200GB 7200RPM SATA/150 8MB

I'd change that for a Samsung. Seagates are okay, but the Samsungs have incredible reliability. I've lost count of the number I've fitted and not one has failed in service.

GC