[techtalk] Re: New hardware

  • From: Andrew Davidson <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:03:44 +0000

Gary Colville wrote:

Asus's AMD boards suck like the thick end of a jet engine.

Quote of the year. :)

I wouldn't use one in a build even if they paid me to do it. Gigabyte are orders of magnitude better. On the rare occasions when I build an S939 PCIe system I use the K8NF-9 and haven't had a single issue with them.

Are Gigabyte still using those substandard caps? We gave up with Gigabyte at work. Too many failures, and dealing with Gigabyte UK was a farce. In finest pigeon english "Oh, we no longer make those board, please be purchasing <insert model here>" Not what I want to hear when I've just had to order in and fit new boards to a whole batch of PCs, including all the onsite callouts to do so, and hours of faffing about because Windows XP has a heart attack because the board has changed.

All our homebuild PCs are now going out with Intel Desktop boards. AMD based machines are Epox powered.

Personally, I've just put a DFI nF3-250Gb board in my own PC, and am very happy. The Asus K8N-E I got initially is sitting on the shelf. Good board, but ultimately pointless as the RAM voltage doesn't go high enough to satisfy my old but stupidly quick Mushkin PC3200.

Andrew