[techtalk] Re: New hardware

  • From: Tim Seifert <sir_tim_seifert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 01:09:18 +1030

Tim Seifert:
>> There's got to be some point where that sort of thing is a breach of the
>> law that you can take action on...

Andrew Davidson:
> Well, we did think about it, but alas as per all things in business,
> time has a value attached to it.  Spending days chasing after getting a
> Â35 motherboard replaced isn't economically viable, so we just ended up
> binning it.

I think, here, the solution would have been get your new board in the
manner best suited to finishing the job, then file against them in a
small claims court.  You pay a small fee for it, but claim for all of
the costs involved to recover costs, your expenses, and as a punishment.
If it's obvious they're jerking you about, they lose, and get a legal
walloping in the process.  Pursuing something like that might only
involve filling in paper work, no actual having to attend court, wasting
another day.

It does seem that a lot of two-bit players realise that they can get
away with selling crap because it's a right pain in the neck for the
customer to get things sorted out properly.  Lately I've got quite
militant about taking things back to stores, because it's not just the
odd thing that's failed, I'm getting one crap thing after another, when
I'm not buying cheap crap parts, I'm paying premium prices for
non-premium products.  Those that try to fob me off get an earbashing
until they cave in.  I came close to giving one local store the "don't
argue with the customer" routine, but they caved in before I had to
resort to that.

--
Bye,
Tim (from Modbury, near Adelaide, South Australia).