[TechAssist] Re: ctc 203ax 27" RCA

  • From: "Electric Medic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:30:47 -0500

So this explains it all. They are doing this audio drop on purpose. Jeeze.
Seems someone would call the shops, espescially ASC's so we can handle these
customers better. I wonder how much money these Beta test are costing
customers worldwide?

Perry Bower
Electric Medic

Silent CTC's
By: Joe Sopko

service shop in
        Florida, I made an inquiry for further information about the
newer RCA
        TV's which exhibit the problem of "no sound....unplug for 15
minutes to
        correct." We've known about this problem for some time, but
have never
        had the whole story on it - till now. The person I spoke to
would only
        talk of it with assurances of anonymity and no mention of the
company he
        works for. I felt like I should put on a trench coat and meet
him on a
        street corner in the dead of night.....He is very concerned
that
        anything said would come back to bite him and his company in
a court.

        As for my putting this in a newsletter it's OK as I am only
reporting
        hearsay" since it is not attributable to any person or
company, and is
        not to be construed as the official position of any person or
company.
        Consider it as a chat between 2 technicians. I have
paraphrased his
        words as I was furiously writing while he was talking, so
this isn't
        EXACT and I've deleted any names so this won't cause him
trouble..

        Question: What Chassis are affected?
        Answer: CTC203, CTC197, and CTC195

        Question: Does it affect only gemstar models?
        Answer: In a way....those 3 chassis all use the same micro (
not the
        same part#, the same capabilities ) whether they have gemstar
installed
        in them or not - the micro will accommodate
gemstar......easier to build
        them at the factory that way, rather than different micro's
for "with"
        or "without" gemstar, so all of those chassis are susceptible
to this
        problem whether or not gemstar is actually in the set.

        Question: Why exactly does it occur ?
        Answer: It's been identified to a non-standard signal
originating in
        particular "XDS box" in the transmission chain (XDS
means "extra digital
        services" and includes closed captioning, auto clock, program
guides,
        VIR color levels, etc, all broadcast in the vertical
interval).... the
        signal originating in this XBR box made by the "XYZ" company
(name
        deleted) has 2 extra bits...It causes a buffer overload in
the micro and
        mutes the sound....this XBR box does not truncate the data
stream and
        the extra bits get broadcast.....there is pending litigation
on this,
        the FCC and EIC is involved since they regulate what goes out
over the
        airways.

        Question: Why does it just affect RCA's ?
        Answer: Well, it doesn't...Sony's Hitachi's and Philips are
also
        affected.....the Sony's dropout video when it occurs...the
Philips have
        the tint shift all the way to green, so RCA;s not alone in
this.

        Question: Is anything being done ?
        Answer: A LOT ! "QQQ company", (name deleted) is helping
the "XYZ"
        company develop software that will properly truncate the data
stream. We
        haven't been ignoring it. As a matter of fact, we're very
near the end,
        now...you're going to be getting MORE complaints about this
in the next
        few weeks as it's being beta tested - they have to "cause"
the problem
        during the testing to "test" the cure, so during this testing
phase the
        trouble will be occuring often....hopefully it'll only be
another 3
        weeks.... refer customers who have this complaint to the
manufacture's
        customer relations number 317-415-4151 as they've been
trained how to
        handle it.

        So there you have it, the complete story of a frustrating
problem that
        is hopefully coming to an end. When those 2 offending bits
are stripped
        off during the transmission process, it'll be all over.