[TechAssist] Re: Panasonic CT-32HC43G Wont turn on

  • From: "Technotronic Dimensions" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:16:08 -0500

Have seen similar problems like described in other sets due to caps that
leaked electrolyte due to a power surge. I too thought it was a bad flyback,
but there was HV or at least some of it partially at times when the set was
attempted to power up. The flashing LED is a common association with the bad
caps too.

Look for swelled domes on electrolytics, or green residue on the negative
leeds on the electrolytics around the flyback, and the STR regulators (if
any) in this set.
Additionally , turn over the PCB, and on the foil , look for BLACK
discoloration on the foil. If you find any, I bet it corresponds with the
negative leeds on an electrolytic. If any cap looks like it has leaked
electrolyte , replace it of course. This set you have is too new for the
caps to have dried out so quick. Power surges, lightning storms etc  tend to
make SMPS electrolytics 'pee' or leak out the electrolyte when the AC line
frequency becomes erratic or unstable.

Steve Hearns
Technotronic Dimensions, NY [USA]
WWW.TECHNOTRONIC-DIMENSIONS.COM
1-877-817-9885 (Voice / Fax Toll Free - US Only)
E-Mail: Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx