[TechAssist] Re: IBM Netvista 667 MHz Type 2276 tower, boot failure]

  • From: "George" <grndmstrg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:47:39 -0700

Phil,

It appears that your HD has a corrupted boot sector. I had a similar problem
with wife's computer, had to save important files. The OS was Windows XP
pro, the HD would not boot. The motherboard went south so I installed HD in
another computer with as a slave and it was recognized but because W98 was
16 bit it would not read the 32 bit drive. Since the HD was recognized I
connected it as Master and completely disconnected the W98 HD.  No boot
system was found so I entered setup and set it to boot from CD and then
restarted with Windows XP CD, then used the Repair feature that fixed the HD
boot problem without losing any of her files. Apparently when the
motherboard failed the HD boot sector became corrupted. I think W98SE also
has a repair feature, if so try to fix the corrupted files. Good Luck,

George
Afana Electronics
Moreno Valley, CA
grndmstrg@xxxxxxxxxxxx