[TechAssist] Re: IBM Netvista 667 MHz Type 2276 tower, boot failure]

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 02:39:48 -0400

Phil, I think I once tried a double sided 256 meg strip in a motherboard
that only read it as 128 meg, probably because it could only understand
single sided memory although I am not 100% sure about that.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4
Fax: (519)821-1530
email: gary (at) number63.ca

Philip Bader wrote:

> I'm ordering a Maxtor 40 gig @ about $65.00 and have done with it. Not
> really worth it these days.
> I do have another question here. It has a single RAM slot with a 64 meg
> PC133 SDRAM stick. I was thinking of swapping it for a 256 meg,but my
> distributor has both PC133 256meg "single sided" and "double sided".
> The double sided is $64.00, single sided $40.00. All else being the same
> whats the deal with the differences here. Can I use either? Advantages
> to either?
> Thanks for all the help so far.
> BTW I have had good luck with www.tcwo.com.
> Phil Bader
>
> Jorge Camboni wrote:
> >
> > First step now is going to the bios setup and make sure the bios is seeing
> > the HDD. If not, trash it. I it sees it correctly (I doubt it)  you try to
> > boot
> > again with the win98se boot disk and run fdisk, delete any partitions you
> > found, make a new dos (c:)  partition and format the damned thing.
> > I am starting to believe that disk is (nearly) unrecoverable...
> > in that case, you learned a little bit more..
> > Jorge
> >
> > At 09:44 a.m. 01/08/03 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Volume in drive C is MS Ramdrive means the hard drive was not recognized
> > >when it booted, Win98 startup disk sets up a virtual drive in ram and
> > >selects the next unused drive letter, best wait for your "PC friend" at
> > >this
> > >point Phil.
> > >Jim Myers
> > >Since 1972