[tccrockets] Re: The Crow 38

  • From: chvy91bowtie@xxxxxxx
  • To: tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 13:17:11 -0400 (EDT)

 No, the long motor doesn't make the rocket over stable but it is of course
more stable than the 3g and 4g motors. I'll have to go back and take a look at
my sims because its been a while but the rocket was designed around the 5g
motors and I only flew it on smaller motors for test flights which if I
remember correctly were just barely stable by a single caliber which worried me
a little because all the flights were going to be well over mach but all three
previous flights have been PERFECTLY straight. I do know that in my sims the
smallest motor I can fly it on and still have a caliber of stability is the 3g.
There is no nose weight added right now because none was needed due to the
short length of the airframe and long motor. I think this may have just been a
bad flight for one reason or another (wind? weird motor burn?) but maybe the
one grain longer length did make a difference. Tonight I will do some sim work
and if my memory is correct and I have a good margin I will fly it again on the
I540 and see what happens. If not then I guess I built the perfect rocket for
the 4g I470 because that was a beautiful flight!

              Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:27:19 +0000
              From: karlbaum@xxxxxxxxxxx
              To: tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maybe we should drag min diam 38s sometime?  I still                haven't
posted the numbers you have Chris!  And you got                your rocket
back?  I would be very pleased.

                Karl