[studiorecorder] Re: New Exciting Beta Version

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:35:47 -0400

Daveed:

You likely don't need to use dither, and SR doesn't support it anyway.
If you are using a 16-bit sample size, you don't need to worry about it.
If you are using a 24-bit sample size and you need to go to 16 bits, you
may have to worry about it some day. For a news clip, I wouldn't think
of worrying about it.

Ideally, you would never normalize. If all recordings were perfect,
that is, the signal just touching 0dB, you would never have to
normalize, and thus none of the problems with normalizing would arise.

In trooth, many people, including myself, normalize. Purists will tell
you that you are introducing noise from rounding, and all of this is
true. But, it is so minimal, it really isn't a factor. What you don't
want to do is continually play with the levels. For example, if you need
to increase a signal by 12 dB, you wouldn't want to use the Change
Volume command 12 times, increasing by 1dB each time. Amateurs tend to
do things like this, and it drives me crazy. Of course, even if you do
something like this, you aren't likely to notice a difference.

In digital audio, it is always better to rank level changes the
following way:
1. Do nothing
2. Increase the level
3. Decrease the level

Decreasing is always worse, because it is the easiest way to introduce
quantization noise. This is opposite the analog world, where we are
always told that decreasing is better than increasing.

Rob Meredith

>>> daveedm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 06/20/06 10:51PM >>>
I am a reporter, not a big techie!  Dither, shmither!  So when do I
need to dither?  I produce news stories, features and
documentaries.  I'm a bit stumped on how to apply, or even to apoply,
so much of the heavy tech stuff.  Now, I know about EQ, of course,
and dynamic compression.  I try to stay away from normalizing as much
as possible.  I find it sqeezes the sound and creates a certain
sameness--I don't know all the technical terms here.  When is it
advisable to use normalizing?  My main engineer discourages its use.

--Daveed--
At 01:19 PM 6/20/2006, you wrote:

>Neal:
>
>No dithering yet. It's all rounding. So, you better normalize those
>recordings with the quiet mics, or you'll be back to where you
started
>after converting.
>
>Rob Meredith

>Rob, thanks again for some nice, new and useful features.
>
>One question.  Are you using any dither or noise shaping to convert
>from
>24 bit to 16 bit?  I also very much like the peak meter read out.
>Nice
>work.
>
>Neal

MEREDITH
>Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:43 PM
>To: studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [studiorecorder] New Exciting Beta Version
>

>Yet another new feature graces Studio Recorder in this new beta
>release.
>Well, actually two new features, but one big one. Resampling Rules!
>(I'll let you read the What's New file for the other feature.)
>
>Rob Meredith
>

>--
6/20/2006