[studiorecorder] Re: New Exciting Beta Version

  • From: Curtis Delzer <curtis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:38:16 -0700

Thank you for that, I never knew what it is until now.

Curtis Delzer

At 11:08 AM 6/21/2006, you wrote:
Curtis:

Dithering is the process of adding noise to a signal to minimize
quantization noise. It makes very low level signals sound correct, as
opposed to squared. It is most useful when processing a file, or when
converting to a smaller sample size.

Rob Meredith

>>> curtis@xxxxxxxxxx 06/21/06 12:56PM >>>
Hi Rob, can you explain to me what, exactly, "dithering" means or
what it does? It is a term I do not understand and I hope you don't
mind taking a few seconds to throw out a few sentences as to what it
means. I've seen the term so often and forgotten to have it defined,
so often until now so if you wouldn't mind ... :)
Thank you!

Curtis Delzer

At 05:35 AM 6/21/2006, you wrote: >Daveed: > >You likely don't need to use dither, and SR doesn't support it anyway. >If you are using a 16-bit sample size, you don't need to worry about it. >If you are using a 24-bit sample size and you need to go to 16 bits, you >may have to worry about it some day. For a news clip, I wouldn't think >of worrying about it. > >Ideally, you would never normalize. If all recordings were perfect, >that is, the signal just touching 0dB, you would never have to >normalize, and thus none of the problems with normalizing would arise. > >In trooth, many people, including myself, normalize. Purists will tell >you that you are introducing noise from rounding, and all of this is >true. But, it is so minimal, it really isn't a factor. What you don't >want to do is continually play with the levels. For example, if you need >to increase a signal by 12 dB, you wouldn't want to use the Change >Volume command 12 times, increasing by 1dB each time. Amateurs tend to >do things like this, and it drives me crazy. Of course, even if you do >something like this, you aren't likely to notice a difference. > >In digital audio, it is always better to rank level changes the >following way: >1. Do nothing >2. Increase the level >3. Decrease the level > >Decreasing is always worse, because it is the easiest way to introduce >quantization noise. This is opposite the analog world, where we are >always told that decreasing is better than increasing. > >Rob Meredith > > >>> daveedm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 06/20/06 10:51PM >>> >I am a reporter, not a big techie! Dither, shmither! So when do I >need to dither? I produce news stories, features and >documentaries. I'm a bit stumped on how to apply, or even to apoply, >so much of the heavy tech stuff. Now, I know about EQ, of course, >and dynamic compression. I try to stay away from normalizing as much >as possible. I find it sqeezes the sound and creates a certain >sameness--I don't know all the technical terms here. When is it >advisable to use normalizing? My main engineer discourages its use. > >--Daveed-- >At 01:19 PM 6/20/2006, you wrote: > > >Neal: > > > >No dithering yet. It's all rounding. So, you better normalize those > >recordings with the quiet mics, or you'll be back to where you >started > >after converting. > > > >Rob Meredith > > > > >>> neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 06/20/06 04:09PM >>> > >Rob, thanks again for some nice, new and useful features. > > > >One question. Are you using any dither or noise shaping to convert > >from > >24 bit to 16 bit? I also very much like the peak meter read out. > >Nice > >work. > > > >Neal > > > > > >-----Original Message----- > >From: studiorecorder-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > >[mailto:studiorecorder-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ROB >MEREDITH > >Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:43 PM > >To: studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > >Subject: [studiorecorder] New Exciting Beta Version > > > > > >Yet another new feature graces Studio Recorder in this new beta > >release. > >Well, actually two new features, but one big one. Resampling Rules! > >(I'll let you read the What's New file for the other feature.) > > > >Rob Meredith > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >-- > >No virus found in this incoming message. > >Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > >Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.2/370 - Release Date: >6/20/2006 > > >-- >No virus found in this outgoing message. >Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. >Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.2/370 - Release Date: >6/20/2006