[studiorecorder] Re: I'm so frustrated with studio recorder, how can I fix this problem?

  • From: Jennifer Sutton <jsuttondc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: studiorecorder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:21:39 -0700

Wow, what an extraordinary number of messages on this subject.

Apologies for adding to the noise, but Harry, it is NOT too bad that people record podcasts in MP3. It is good. Let me help you think this through. I pose questions not for discussion, either on or off list. My questions are rhetorical.

I pose questions based on someone who's been watching the podcasting space for a long time.

You think podcasts should be distributed as wav files? How about thinking about band width limitations for people who want to listen to them, instead?

Are you a podcaster who wants to pay for all that band width on your host for people to download large wavs?

You want your hard drive cluttered up with all that extra data that wav requires?

I sure don't.

MP3 is compressed and widespread for many reasons; these are just a few.

I don't think podcasts are distributed for the convenience of people to be editing them; they exist primarily for people to listen to them.

Apologies to the group since this is straying way out of how to use Studio Recorder territory.

Back to more relevant and less email-required discussions, I certainly hope.

Jennifer
At 01:07 PM 6/12/2012, you wrote:
Hi Neal,
I hear ya, on that thought.
It's too bad, that so many people, record files in the mp3 format, and not wav format. If these people that do podcasts would record them in .wav format, then, there's no problem, and you could just launch studio recorder, and then, you could click on the file and edit it and save it, because it would be in .wav. So many podcasts are .mp3 files, and they all should be .wav files, then, there wouldn't be a problem.
Harry