[sparkscoffee] Re: The Executive

  • From: Sblumen123@xxxxxxx
  • To: sparkscoffee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 20:17:55 -0500 (EST)

RR
Many thanks for your information but I still don't know what did
ARA do wrong in 1979 and 1999?

Stan

In a message dated 2/13/2013 6:47:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ristad@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Stan,
I only filed  two complaints with the NRLB, one in 1979 and another in
1999. Actually I did  not file
the one in 1979 but was just a party to it.  Norris Sapp was  a witness to
the complaint that I filed in
in 1999 and received $1,000. Had  I not dropped the case they would have
had to pay all ARA
members $1,000.  In any case as part of the settlement they had to post a
notice in the hiring  hall
for 90 days admitting to illegal use of union funds. If Schuman claims  he
does not remember that
then he is either lying or is senile.

In  1979 I was thrown off the ship I was on and replaced by an ROU member.
Eddie  Steinberg
made a settlement for which he was paid $75,000 in attorney's  fees and the
R0's who lost their jobs
received nothing. I didn't file the  complaint with the NRLB but they asked
me to supply them with
information  which I did. Then one day they called me up and asked to come
pick up a check  for
what represented a year's salary in those days, and it was all tax  free!

Although I enjoyed sailing as a 3rd Mate I was never interested  in being a
Captain because the
reason I went to sea was to see the  world,  - something you could do back
when I first started
going to  sea in the 60's, whereas working your way up the ranks to captain
requires  staying on
the same ship, often the the same run going back and forth to  the same
places forever. I was an
ARA member for over 35 years and during  that time only had two permanent
jobs, one which lasted
3 years (South  America - the "Love Run"), and another which lasted 2 years
(Matson Hawaii).  The
rest of the time I sailed relief. I sailed on more that 50 ships and  have
visited well over 100
countries and learned to speak several  languages. Something I will never
regret.

The last 5 years, during  which time GMDSS went into effect, were no fun at
all, and I suppose I
was  a "malcontent". I have admiration for Steinberg and Schuman and feel
myself  lucky to have
made their acquaintance but that doesn't change what they  are. I have
other friends who are crooks.
What other people do is no  concern of mine until it effects me. I suppose
that's the effect of all  the
time I spent living in NYC.

It's a wonderful  life!

-RR