[sib-access] Re: system breaks and question about chord symbols

  • From: "Dani L Pagador" <axs.brl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 14:09:19 -1000

Hi, Thomas.
The flat symbol is more than likely correct (get a sightling to help confirm
this *smile*), but Sib Access/JFW Version X  could be saying something
different. If that's the case, then you need to teach it to ive you the
correct information.

Here's a snip from my Tips and Tricks folder.

<snip>
Claudio writes:
"Open a score and enter
a flat, a sharp and a diminished chord. It doesn't matter, if it is a "c, d,
e, f, g, a or B" chord. Once your three chords entered, tab to one of them
and press enter to find yourself in its edit field. Move your cursur, so
that you can hear the letter of the chord, and while on the letter, press
insert-d. Your Jaws dictionary opens, and doing so, it is only the
dictionary, that is related to the Sib-Access scripts. In this dictionary
you land on the "add-button"; press spacebar to activate it. In the field
that opens, your whole chord will be there, because Jaws automatically adds
the whole word, on which the cursor was. Now arrow right and left to find
the chord letter and delete only, that letter, so that the eventually not
spoken symbols remains in that field. Tab once and type the expression you
want for that symbol. Now tab to the OK button and you are done. Your chords
from now on are spoken correctly. Repeat these steps of course for all
chords you want to be spoken correctly."

Dave C. writes:
"I found this text in the reference manual, in section 3.4 Chord Symbols. It

gives a list of several special symbols. The only one that I can't identify
from the text is for half-diminished.

The word menu lists keyboard shortcuts for all the available bits of chord
symbol. For example, to
add a flat sign, type a lowercase b; to add a sharp sign, type #; to add
superscript numbers, just
type 1-9; and so on. Here are some other useful keyboard shortcuts:

Diminished symbol (degrees) Ctrl+O) Ctrl+Shift+O
Augmented symbol (&) Shift-7 (&)
Half-diminished (flat 5th) symbol
Major alteration (^) for e.g. major 7ths Shift-6 (^)
for chords with added 6ths and 9ths Shift-5 (%)
Other symbols on the word menu include N.C. for no chord,"
' to specify an added alteration,
; to specify that a particular note should be omitted, and so on.

You can change the entries for these in the Chords (standard) word menu if
you use them frequently
see 3.1 Working with text in the Sibelius Reference Manual." <end>

HTH,
Dani