[sib-access] Re: system breaks and question about chord symbols

  • From: "Alexandru Cozaciuc" <alexcoza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 23:28:10 +0300

Hello!
When I want to add system breaks but have no double barlines or final
barlines, I do the following:
1. I select the last note before the next passage.
2. I put a double barline and make sure that it is selected.
3. I insert a system break by going to the Layout menu. Then, I go to the
Break submenu and press Enter on the System break item.
4. After that, I simply delete the double barline.

I personally don't put System breaks before rehearsal marks.
I used the method I wrote about when I didn't need a final barline at the
song's end because I had to write the accelerando instruction followed by
the tempo called Vivacissimo, so there was no final barline needed but a
system break only.
Talking about System breaks: make sure that they're also put into the scores
of your instruments but not into the full score only. I think I will write
about displaying information regarding pages, systems and bars if it is
really necessary.

Talking about chord symbols: when you press the letter b, Sibelius writes
the flat symbol. For instance, if you want to write a chord symbol (let's
say E flat major), you normally write Eb, but as I've written before,
Sibelius doesn't write the letter b but the flat symbol. It is probably
easier to see the flat symbol in stead of the letter b, but if you really
want to write the letter b, you can write it into a text editor like
Notepad, copy it to your clipboard and paste it when you want a flat.
Talking about Jaws: unfortunately, it doesn't speak this symbol correctly.
In English, it says something like dieresis. I'm sorry if this word really
exists and I didn't write it correctly, but I'm not a native English
speaker.

Hope this helps

Alex