[SI-LIST] Re: SMPS capacitor

  • From: Krunal Desai <movax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx" <Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 22:17:23 -0800

Hi all -

To piggyback on this thread a bit: I am doing a very space-constrained layout
using the LTC3785, a voltage-mode buck-boost controller. In my experience, I
have read and been taught:
- don't via gate signals (so keep control IC on same layer as FETs)
- leave pads for (starting) 0R resistors in series with gate signals in case
damping is needed to combat ringing
- do not transition layers for your high-current switching loop (in this case,
FETs and inductor)

The demo board violates my first point (the controller, compensation network
and bootstrap caps/diodes are all on the bottom), but maintains the other
points (FETs, bypass caps and inductor are all on the top). Switching frequency
in this case is 500kHz (I do not know rise times yet). To mitigate the effects
of switching layers, I've used the widest traces possible for the gates, added
nearby stitching vias (8L board) and run some low-speed signals on L4
(bootstrap driver voltage) to leave more room for critical signals on the
bottom layer. Anything else I can do to mitigate?

This discussion reminds me that I probably have to move my external Schottky to
the same layer as my FET, instead of clam shelling right below the FET in
question (with only one via to boot, what was I thinking....).

--khd (mobile)

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: