[SI-LIST] Re: SMPS capacitor

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gnuarm.2006@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:46:15 -0500

Rick
let me a bit more clear.  I was speaking with respect to the posed question
indicating that the bypass capacitors were going to be placed remotely from
the current transient generating source.

If the huge current transient from an SMPS is allowed to pass through vias,
without being filtered by bypass capacitors, all bets are off. The
resulting cavity mode current injection can cause significant noise and EMI
problems.  I have seen 12V input filtering capacitors placed on the
opposite side of the board from the input to power mosfets in a SMPS.
 Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad things happened. (i.e. the full
brunt of the transient current was allowed to pass through vias.)

The takeaway is to filter the noise as close to the source as is possible.

Scott

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: