[SI-LIST] Re: SMPS capacitor

  • From: "Smith, Larry" <larrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bowden.ivor@xxxxxxxxx" <bowden.ivor@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 17:36:27 +0000

Ivor - some hand calculations can give good insight into the problem.  Several
posters on this thread have mentioned the di/dt but it is not really that much
of a problem for the L C output loop.   Using the parameters below and assuming
a 1 uH inductor, di/dt = V/L = (4V-1V)/1uH = 3 A/uSec.  This is not trivial but
it is not as big as a single DDR net from a few years ago that might have a
di/dt of 15mA/1nSec = 15A/uSec, 5x bigger.  We send multiple DDR nets through
PCB cavities all the time.

The switched node upstream of the working inductor has a big dV/dt, possibly
4V/nSec.  The trace between FET switches and inductor should be short for that
reason.  Both dV/dt and dI/dt downstream of the working inductor are fairly
tame.  The FET switches should make and break quickly and efficiently and allow
continuous current to flow around the output loop with tightly coupled currents
and return currents.  The power plane (trace) inductance and mounted load cap
inductance is probably less than 10nH or 1% of the working inductance.  There
will be some switching noise downstream of the working inductor but it is not
excessive.  Most of the voltage drop is across the working inductor.

As several posters have already mentioned, the problem is with the SMPS input
capacitor.  If the FETs switch in 1nSec and the CPU load is 1A, the di/dt in
the input capacitor loop is 1A/nSec = 1000A/uSec which is 333x bigger than in
the output loop.  Be real careful with the mounting of that one!

Regards,
Larry Smith

PS - I hope you enjoy the Altera PDN tool.  Ravi, Coung and I put that together
several years ago.

--------------   original post  -----------------
Hi SI Experts,
I am interested in comments about SMPS capacitor placement / routing.

I understand that given an SMPS and a Load, the ideal situation is to have SMPS
bulk output capacitor close to SPMS / inductor sized to handle inductor ripple
current; Load bulk input capacitor at load sized to hand load transient
current; SMPS bulk input capacitor at SMPS input sized to handle peak inductor
input current, considering SMPS input supply impedance. Undersized SMPS input
capacitor can result in switching noise on SMPS input supply power / ground
planes. SMPS sense feedback can connect to load to compensate for power path IR
drop if delay doesn't destabilize loop control.

Comments on preceding welcome.

Example could be 4 V 1 MHz SMPS supply 1 V and 1 A to CPU / FPGA device, with
1/3 A inductor ripple current, using large value (10-100 uF) MLCC.

Consider case where due to design constraints SMPS bulk output capacitor and
Load bulk input capacitor required to be same physical device. Say SMPS and
Load are relatively close together, a few cm. Say Load has appropriate local
decaps for HF transients. If capacitor is closer to SMPS inductor then inductor
ripple current loop is smaller; if capacitor is closer to load then load
transient current loop is smaller. If selected to place capacitor close to load
to better supply load transients, what are practical effects to expect from
longer SMPS inductor ripple current loop in terms of overall PDN integrity,
EMI, and switching crosstalk noise to adjacent signals?

I understand specific answers depend on specific circuits, I seek general
comments about potential issues and resolutions, such as how common is it to
place SMPS output bulk capacitors only at load and what effects to expect for
those cases?

Or to phrase another way, (how) would you make case for separate output and
load bulk caps?

Thank you,

Ivor Bowden