[SI-LIST] Re: SMPS capacitor

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 17:24:40 -0500

Fast rise time leads to high efficiency.  The power n-mosfets for 3-phase
processor power supplies I'm familiar with have a switch rise/fall time of
6 to 8 ns.  They tend to ring like a bell in the 100 to 160 MHz region and
radiate if not correctly bypassed at the input.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM, <Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Larry,
> I am unable to understand how can the FETs switch in 1 nSec, when the
> common SMPS switches at 1 - 2 MHz.
>
> I will appreciate if you can clarify this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards
> Ravinder Ajmani
>
> HGST, a Western Digital company
> 5601 Great Oaks Pkwy
> San Jose, CA 95119-1003
> ravinder.ajmani@xxxxxxxx
>

> "Smith, Larry" <larrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 02/19/2014 09:36 AM
> Please respond to
> larrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "bowden.ivor@xxxxxxxxx" <bowden.ivor@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
>
> Subject
> [SI-LIST] Re: SMPS capacitor
>

> Ivor - some hand calculations can give good insight into the problem.
> Several posters on this thread have mentioned the di/dt but it is not
> really that much of a problem for the L C output loop.   Using the
> parameters below and assuming a 1 uH inductor, di/dt = V/L = (4V-1V)/1uH > 3
> A/uSec.  This is not trivial but it is not as big as a single DDR net
> from a few years ago that might have a di/dt of 15mA/1nSec = 15A/uSec, 5x
> bigger.  We send multiple DDR nets through PCB cavities all the time.
>
> The switched node upstream of the working inductor has a big dV/dt,
> possibly 4V/nSec.  The trace between FET switches and inductor should be
> short for that reason.  Both dV/dt and dI/dt downstream of the working
> inductor are fairly tame.  The FET switches should make and break quickly
> and efficiently and allow continuous current to flow around the output
> loop with tightly coupled currents and return currents.  The power plane
> (trace) inductance and mounted load cap inductance is probably less than
> 10nH or 1% of the working inductance.  There will be some switching noise
> downstream of the working inductor but it is not excessive.  Most of the
> voltage drop is across the working inductor.
>
> As several posters have already mentioned, the problem is with the SMPS
> input capacitor.  If the FETs switch in 1nSec and the CPU load is 1A, the
> di/dt in the input capacitor loop is 1A/nSec = 1000A/uSec which is 333x
> bigger than in the output loop.  Be real careful with the mounting of that
> one!
>
> Regards,
> Larry Smith
>
> PS - I hope you enjoy the Altera PDN tool.  Ravi, Coung and I put that
> together several years ago.
>
> --------------   original post  -----------------
> Hi SI Experts,
> I am interested in comments about SMPS capacitor placement / routing.
>
> I understand that given an SMPS and a Load, the ideal situation is to have
> SMPS bulk output capacitor close to SPMS / inductor sized to handle
> [...]

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
16 Stormy Brook Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105

(401) 284-1827 Business

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: