[SI-LIST] Re: SMPS capacitor

  • From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bowden.ivor@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 07:11:35 -0700

Ivor,
a SPICE model of the SMPS, filter, the path to the load, and the load
decoupling can provide insight into this. Two important parameters to
include are the decoupling cap inductance and the trace or plane inductance
between the SMPS and the load. The SMPS model need not be complete; it can
consist of the basic topology running open loop.

Load transients (load dump for example) can be explored by changing the
load current. The load can be simulated by a current source that abruptly
drops to zero or by a resistor with a series switch (a voltage controlled
switch or a FET).

Many SMPS output filters are simple L-C filters. For example, a buck
regulator inductor connected to the filter capacitor. This is the case if
the SMPS is right at the load. But when there is distance between the SMPS
and the load another L-C filter surfaces, the trace or plane inductance and
the decoupling capacitance at the load. This seems to be what you're asking
about.

If you need directions to calculate the trace or plane inductance I will
post them.

     Dave Cuthbert
     Rubidium Technology LLC (a consulting company)
     EMC design, PS, instrumentation, and anything analog

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: