[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS-AMI Vendor Support Help

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:06:22 -0800

Todd,

I would like to add a few more items to your list on why (and
how) some AMI models are non-compliant.

I don't know if I can mention the company name openly, but there
are some released AMI DLL-s which use a certain parameter format
that is not AMI spec compliant.  The answer I was given when I
questioned this was that these models existed before the AMI spec
was finished, and it would be too much work for the IC vendor to
rewrite their models to obey the AMI syntax.  I understand that
Walter's proposed AMI BIRD contains changes that will make these
models compliant, but for the time being they will only work with
tools which are willing to support them out-of-spec.

While I agree with your discussion about S-parameters, I would
like to mention that I have seen non-compliant .ibs files in
which there were no S-parameter references and many of the
non-compliant features could have been described by simple,
existing IBIS syntax.  Also, I have seen files which do not
pass the parser because they contain obvious spec violations,
such as not having a number in the typical column of various
items, or omitting required keywords and/or subparameters,
or even because of the incorrect spelling of the OS under
the brand new [Algorithmic Model] keyword.

One could call these problems accidental mistakes or typos, but
that's what we have a parser for, right?

Arpad