[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS-AMI Vendor Support Help

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 11:19:02 -0500

See below:

Walter Katz wrote:
> All,
>
> On die S-Parameter is just one part of the problem. Models requiring on die
> S-Parameter are incompatible with the rest of IBIS IV and VT data, including
> things liked Vdiff, Cdiff.

I really hate statements without proof.  Certainly "standard" IBIS
models with IV and VT tables could benefit from a frequency dependent
parasitic model.
> The problem with [External Circuit] it that it is explicitly outside of a
> model definition and therefore not model based. So if a chip had 300
> instances of the same SerDes differential model, then using [External
> Circuit] would require 300 instances of the same [External Circuit], this
> combined with IBIS inability to properly handle true differentials makes
> putting this capability in IBIS problematic.

There are several issues with this statement.  Certainly an External
Circuit is model based.  It is just not encapsulated in the same model
you are discussing. The use of 300 instances of the same External
Circuit is a red herring.  This is just a matter of simulation model
management.  By the same definition, 300 instances of the same SerDes
model are required.  Finally, IBIS-AMI does not handle true
differential.  All AMI algorithmic modeling has been decomposed to
differential mode only.  This excludes any technique that might operate
on the two paths independently.
> As soon as the current revision of the AMI specification is completed,
> SiSoft will be introducing new AMI parameters that satisfy the Analog
> modeling requirements to support the AMI algorithmic modeling. One
> additional compelling reason to put this into the .ami file is that we have
> found that configuring the ami algorithmic model also configures the analog
> parasitics.

Why not introduce the new parameters into the discussion at this time?
> Walter
>
> Walter Katz
> 303.449-2308
> Mobile 720.333-1107
> wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx
> www.sisoft.com

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: