[SI-LIST] Re: Ground, the preferred reference plane

  • From: "D G" <dgun@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:29:43 +0800

Anand,

As for why ground and not power, I can't answer that.  Possibly power planes
are noisier in general than ground planes.  I'm surprised the book doesn't
explain its preference.

As for decoupling caps, anytime a signal transitions, current will flow between
power and ground.  Depending on the speed of the signal, current could be
supplied from bypass caps, power-plane capacitance, or all the way back at the
power source, but it will eventually flow between power and ground.

As for current paths on signal traces and reference planes, it is true that a
current on a signal trace induces a current on the reference plane.  However,
this induced current will eventually have to travel through one of the paths
mentioned above.  Remember, currents travel in loops.

- Daniel

From: "Kuriakose, Anand" <Anand.Kuriakose@xxxxxxx>

--
Daniel