[SI-LIST] Re: Ground, the preferred reference plane

  • From: "Michael J. Degerstrom" <degers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx,"'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:39:52 -0600

Chris,

Once again - if you take the time to read my original post I said that for
this thread people were using the word 'reference' to mean two very different
things:

a) In the context of one or more reference planes that set the characteristic
impedance for the signal. These planes will carry the local return current
for the signal.

b) In the context of a selected voltage that dictates how circuits interact
with one another.  For example, consider two ECL chips with external VBB pins
that are powered from the same VBB on-board supply.  Since these two chips
have the same switch point voltage reference then they behave very well
together.  There are cases, where for example, you may want to run these ECL
chips with a positive voltage in an PECL .   This is often times fine to do
but if there were grounded metal cases and heat sinks these metal surfaces
will then be at the positive supply.  I merely mentioned in passing that you
may not want a design with large areas of bare metal at a non-ground
potential as the risk of DC shorts during testing, handling, etc., would be
high.  Please don't read any more into this passing comment - it had no
relevance to high speed SI issues.

Mike

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 10:17 pm, Chris Cheng wrote:
> I still don't understand what are you talking about. Almost all the high
> performance package I've design or  came across have mulitple planes.
> Sandwiching I/O signal between Gnd and VDDQ is simple to do and common
> practice. Are you telling me there should be no power planes on a package
> because there is potential DC shorting issue ?

List archives are viewable at: