[SI-LIST] Re: Ground, the preferred reference plane

  • From: "Michael J. Degerstrom" <degers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:47:16 -0600

Chris,

ECL (not-PECL) I/O  pulled current from VCCO (zero volts) on the driver side
and dumped it to VTT (-2 volts) through a 50 ohm load on the board.  This was
the most common  high-speed configuration.  Therefore it was best for the
signals to reference the ground planes and for the VTT plane to have a low
impedance to ground in the area of the terminators.  However, signals
referencing VEE or VTT planes never seemed to cause any trouble.

In general, I usually am not concerned with which planes are used for signal
reference - as long as the planes offer a low impedance to the ground plane.
If you have a design without the luxury of metal layers available for full
power and ground planes then I tend to analyze the problem more carefully.

The topic above deals with the subject of providing return current paths for
your signal lines.  For this case the term 'reference' relates to the spacing
of the power/ground planes that set the characteristic impedance of the
signal lines.  The other topic related to this thread is pertaining to
whether your circuits are best ground referenced or instead referenced to
another supply.  I tend to think that this other subject relates to noise
coupling from other devices that are 'electrically' near your circuit.

Generally it makes sense to not deviate from ground references unless that is
typical for the I/O type that you are designing with.  In one design, I ran a
10Gbps E/O part positive which greatly simplified this design.  However,
testing of eye diagrams was difficult as the path through the signal lines
and their terminations allowed low freq harmonics of a DC-DC converter to
pass into the high speed part.  Also, since the signals were no longer ground
referenced I had to be creative in order to test the parts with an
oscilloscope.  I can imagine other scenarios where changing voltage
references from their typical values would cause a circuit to fail due to
coupled noise, bias point shifts, etc.

One last point, many packages have grounded metal lids, heatsinks and so on.
It probably isn't a good idea to shift the supplies so that large areas of
exposed metal are not at ground potential.  It would be too easy to cause DC
shorts during handling of the board.

Mike

List archives are viewable at: