[SI-LIST] Re: Circle bus topology; Circular Firing Squad?

  • From: olaney@xxxxxxxx
  • To: steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:29:21 -0700

No, the waves in each direction have the same phase at the source.  They
would meet and *reinforce* each other at the electrical halfway point,
continue around the loop in both directions, and meet again at the
source.   Unless the source was back terminated, they would reflect from
the low source impedance, this time in inverted phase from the original
sense, and repeat the exercise until losses cause the waveform to die
out.  This is just a wierd example of exactly what happens on a regular
single ended trace with an open end, except that you are driving two
traces of identical length in parallel that have their ends shorted
together.  Also note that to back terminate the source, its impedance
would have to be half that of the transmission path, because it sees both
ends of the line in parallel.  Example: 50 ohm source to drive a 100 ohm
looped trace.  Or, you could terminate the halfway roundtrip point the
same way.  Or both, if you double the drive level (great for video but
not good practice for logic signals).  Basically, ring layouts in copper
foil are strange birds, useful for narrowband microwave purposes, but not
of much use for wideband, time domain waveforms for all the reasons
mentioned.

Orin Laney

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net