[SI-LIST] Re: Circle bus topology; Circular Firing Squad?

  • From: "Townsend, Fred" <ftownsend@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <David.Carney@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:04:32 -0700

David:
I have to ask what would be gained from such a topology? Ron and Scott
both make some very good points. In the case of the Mux bus (1553)the
ring encompasses the airplane and the double ring structure gives
increased reliability. Microwave can make use of some structures like
directional couplers to help reduce reflections. If rings are good why
aren't we still using the token ring? Again the token ring was over an
area much bigger than a PCB. A ring in a PCB would have all of the
problems with no apparent gain. Think about your PCB router. Rings would
drive the router nuts?

Fred Townsend