[ SHOWGSD-L ] thisa and thata

  • From: NHANSBURG@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:05:53 -0500

1. On Crufts.... American Judges have been invited to officiate at this show
way before they dropped the time period for bringing dogs into the country. I
do not think that Hawaii has dropped that ban to this day. Its strange to think
that as soon as they dropped the requirement MAD COW disease suddenly showed
up. Anyway two American dogs have already won crufts Mick and the Pappillion.
Most years the judges who do our breed put up dogs that could never win in an
American Show ring. One wonders who judged the qualifying shows that sent them
there. Maybe what we need to do is invite English judges here to see and judge
our dogs. It certainly might stimulate entries.

2. On Rimadyl...This is a pain killer much like morphine and is often
prescribed for dogs who are incurable or inoperable. Of course the death rate
is high. The drug is not the cause of death, the disease is. My thirteen club
dogs were all on Rimadyl when they died, it made their lives much more
comfortable.

3.Du
ring the sixties it was much easier to get new people to join the breed. The
groupie atmosphere that pervaded those times made people feel welcome
everywhere. This lasted well into the seventies what with the bicentennial and
all kinds of come together events going on.The 84 olympics and the cross
country chain and the Atlanta Olympics restimulated an interest in sports and
membership. There is nothing right now to create that atmosphere. Instead we
have 9/11. Searches at large events and at airports and the closing of one
movie theater after another as everything moves into the home.This does not
create an atmosphere conducive to club membership. Hopefully New York will get
the 2012 Olympics and we will get an upsurge once more. We desparately need it.