[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: prices of dogs

  • From: "Terra Fairburn" <terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Ann Mariano'" <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>, <MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx>, "'showgsd-l'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 07:43:50 -0600

In our area we try to get the people in our club to sell puppies for a
reasonable price...currently we are able to get $750 for a pet puppy.  Now
with that comes a lot of responsibility.  Pup must be healthy, vet checked
prior to sale, shots, wormed and on and on.  For those that don't sell at
that price, it is very easy to point this out because of the major
differences.  People purchasing pups get it too most of the time.  There is
a lot of follow up after the sale also.  When you consider time is money,
$750 is cheap.  It is my experience that people who spend that much money
want some type of relationship with the breeder.
There are still people who get on the internet and find a breeder, it
usually is out east, and buys a pet for $1500-2,000, because it must be
better if it costs more.  Then they show up at class-club, with a coat and
some type of problems.  They cry because they don't have a relationship with
the breeder to discuss the problems.  There puppy does not ever look like
the rest of the dogs.
We are fortunate that we have many repeat sales and referrals.  We are a
small kennel but every pup is placed with high hopes that it will be in a
great home and cherished the rest of it's life.
But to me $750 is really a minimal price that hardly ever covers my full
total costs.
Now I have 10 pups and things could be a little different just based on the
number of puppies!!!!  MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Terra Fairburn
Keggi Fair German Shepherds
Terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.keggifair.com

From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2006/12/22 Fri AM 06:16:05 CST
To: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

--- MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
They can find parents who
> are OFA H/E and buy a
> puppy for $500

$500 for a pet?   My last litter for 5 puppies sold: Stud
fee $500, Gas/Tolls traveling to stud 2 trips $200, VC/BC
$300, Progesterone Tests $600, Dog Food (Solid Gold) $400,
Puppy Exam by vet $140 Total= $2000

Then Add:  Mom got pyrometrea, vet bills for mom $500, sick
puppies $500

Then Add: Mom OFA Certification $300

Now: $3300

Then if you add Championship Title: Easy $3000+ for
entries, handling, traveling expenses (will split by 3
since she had 3 litters: Add $1000 for this litter)

Cost for my litter of 5: $4300 (not including toys, etc.
and other things I forgot :))

Pet puppies should be sold for alot more than $500, even if
you do have the trouble that I had with my last litter.

Ann Marie
  www.geocities.com/amarigermanshepherds.Amari.html
  Home of Ch Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC OFA
  R/Best in Futurity Ch Amari's Ava Gardner TC OFA
  Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy CGC (Major pointed,Group placer)
  Amari's Confession of a Drama Queen

Ann,
  I agree with you that cost should reflect the amount you put in.  But what
does not make sense to me is that you said you sold your "pet" pups for
$1750.00, then gave away 2 "show" pups on co ownership.  Yes most people
these days are becoming more educated and want well bred dogs/puppies.  But
$1750 for a "pet", and "show" pups for nothing (don't know what the contract
states, but still nothing up front from the way you stated it earlier.) I
don't think that's fair either, we want the puppy buyers to be well
educated, but give them prices that for alot of people wanting a family
member is way out their price range.    Maybe you sold your pups quickly and
noone hesitated.....that's great for you. But I can't see a pet price being
quite so high.

Don't want to offend just lending my thoughts!
Happy Holidays!

Kris Kudel
Kamelot
Shepherds      UPDATED http://mysite.verizon.net/krisbob1/