[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: prices of dogs

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:58:38 EST

Heck people, I have to be honest...I didn't even spen $500 on Strauss.  He
cost me $250, and he actually has a decent pedigree with some nice dogs back
there.  He's almost exactly what I want in a dog.  He's perfect for me in terms
of working drives, and the things I wish were different are purely aesthetic (I
wish he had more coat and his ear had stood).
I bought him with my high school graduation money.

The people buying these $200-500 dogs these days I've discovered, aren't
often families any more (the internet lends to much research), but the younger
person like me.  Somebody in, or just finishing college that cannot afford the
rather large price tag some puppies come with.  I know about health testing,
and
stud fees, and the cost of showing...but many others don't, nor do they
really care, and even if they do...that's not something they can afford.

They want their purebred dog, and a shocking number of people are not aware
of purebred rescues, only the mainstream animal shelters, and they do not want
to adopt from there.  They want to raise a puppy on their own.  They go with
what they can afford to the best of their ability at a time.  The mindset some
of my friends ran across was "If you can't afford to pay it all at once, you
can't afford a dog," which is just not true.

My friend, Laura, saved for her PWC for 3 years...Freshman year of high
school until junior year, and she got him the summer of her senior year, and
Remmy
"only" cost her $600.  Not a lot to those with careers and what not I'm sure,
but that's hours and hours of working in a sub shop while trying to keep up
with school work and activities, so she could get her dog.  She loves that dog,
works very hard to keep him, but she saved for that dog from age 14 to age 17
to pay for him.

 - Jackie