[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: prices of dogs

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx, brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:49:35 EST

In a message dated 12/22/2006 7:40:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Ann,
I agree with you that cost should reflect the amount you  put in.  But what
does not make sense to me is that you said you sold  your "pet" pups for
$1750.00, then gave away 2 "show" pups on co  ownership.  Yes most people these
days
are becoming more educated and  want well bred dogs/puppies.  But $1750 for a
"pet", and "show" pups for  nothing (don't know what the contract states, but
still nothing up front from  the way you stated it earlier.) I don't think
that's fair either, we want the  puppy buyers to be well educated, but give
them
prices that for alot of people  wanting a family member is way out their
price range.    Maybe you  sold your pups quickly and noone
hesitated.....that's
great for you. But I  can't see a pet price being quite so high.

Don't want to offend just  lending my thoughts!
Happy Holidays!

Kris  Kudel

I was speaking to another breeder about puppy pricing the other day  in the
context of what people will spend on their companion pups at the  vets.  (Ann
Marie, myself and this other lady live roughly in the same  area.)

I came to the conclusion I wasn't charging enough lol!  Case in point,  I had
3 pups with pano in the last litter.  Two clients were OK with it,  followed
the suggestions in the puppy packet, all is well.  One client was  more
concerned, I spoke to her vet, x-rays looked good, his conclusion "bump in  the
road".  Client's idea, get a 2nd opinion.  Guess how much for
x-rays....sitting
down....really sitting down....$1,500.  For x-rays.  Didn't blink. Yup,
definitely not charging enough for the initial purchase  price!

As far as giving a good one away, I've done it too.  My sister...a  close
friend whose ROM bitch passed...my business, and I don't see where that  has
anything to do with what a puppy purchaser  <pet or show> chooses  (that's
right,
CHOOSES to pay, no one is holding a gun to their  head!)  You feel it's not
"fair"?  I feel it's not the business  of someone who wishes to buy a puppy
what I decide to do with other  puppies that are my property.  They way I work
it
is that people who have  sent a deposit come and make their selections in the
order that I received  deposits AFTER the puppies have been issued (in
writing) a vet cert.  All  of the puppies are the same price, unless I have far
more
girls than boys, in  which case the girls may be a little less.  My business,
and I can't  imagine anyone even thinking to ask "what about the others"
because it's made  clear to interested parties from the start that the breeding
was done for a  purpose and that one or more puppies may be held back.  Like I
said, no one  is holding a gun to their head.

Unlike Ann Marie, I don't calculate the cost of showing, mentally, in the
cost of a litter.  (In fact, I don't add that up at all, lol!)  But I  will
tell
you, puppy people, even if they have no intention of setting foot on  dog
show grounds, just love the bragging rights when both mom & dad are  CHs, (and
of
course TC'd and all of the other alphabet soup that means so much  to us,
lol!)

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_