[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: memorable K-9 stories

  • From: "Rachel Anderson" <gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:00:10 -0500

  It was hard to pick one, but my favorite kind of stories are when you do
something good for an animal, and then later on it impacts your own life, so
here's a story told me by an old breeder friend:
  He had placed a bitch with people for return litters. She developed
pyometria. This was during WW2, and of course vet medicine was not as advanced
as today, plus antibiotics were harder to come by because of the war,
especially for "just a dog". Spaying her was not enough, the infection was so
bad, so he told them to euthanize her. Instead they chose to spend a small
fortune procuring the necessary penicillin and an extended vet hospital stay.
  She did recover and a year or so later, the family was out in the hay fields
bringing in the hay. They were using a team of horses to pull the hay wagon and
hit a nest of hornets. The horse bolted in sheer panic, and came charging down
on the family's small children, playing, the dog nearby. The dog came charging
at the horses, barking fiercely, but the horses were undeterred until she threw
herself up into the faces of the team, biting and snapping and they veered to
one side and missed the kids.
  Now, I'm gonna choke up, as I always do when I think of this story...this
little dog who was never a champion and probably had no sidegait to speak
of...but she did have "heart" "courage" and "fighting spirit" and had the
greatest love one can give...she laid down her life for her friends.

  Merry Christmas, may we all be so loved.
  Rachel & the Ark
  "The dog/horse can read from the glance of the trainer the state of the
trainer's soul..." Max v Stephanitz
  http://segensreich.homestead.com
  http://www.workingdog.org