[ SHOWGSD-L ] futurities

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sally" <sally@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:35:30 -0800

Sally posts...

when I was showing I never went in just to show my dogs off or to place-  I
went to WIN

But then I realized the futurities did not mean much to me so I stopped
showing at them-  They never ever made a difference in my breeding program.
I always picked studs because I thought they could improve on my bitch.

Paul adds...

Sally...like you...I never leave the house without expecting to win. It's in
our genes and I'm not talking Wranglers or Calvin Clines here...winning is
the drink that quenches the thirst.

Of course it made a difference in your breeding program because you saw who
NOT to breed to. Just because a dog wins a Futurity does not make it a good
dog. Those that are good dogs produce good dogs. I could fill a book with
those animals that won a futurity...many didn't finish...and never produced
a dog that did. That's what I learn from competing.

I go to Judges I respect and feel have an eye for a correct dog...based on
the Standard's requests. Some years there are quite a few and some years
it's a real drought...but you know what I am talking about there. We...as
people who enter any futurity/maturity are subject to the clubs who select
their Judges. I could name several this year I believe are apples and
oranges but that is nothing new. I have begged the hosting clubs to pick
compatible Judges who will like the same style of dogs but alas...it doesn't
seem to happen. Winners should be based on dogs that are as close to the
Standard as possible.

I still have faith in the system and as long as our dogs make us proud...we
will tread the same path.

JMO...once again...as always...

Paul