[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: futurities

  • From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  • To: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 11:46:06 EST

In a message dated 1/8/2006 1:13:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Gsdman2@xxxxxxx writes:
The  thing I dislike about the Futurity reserve is that the reserve dogs go
into the same ring as the winners when they get to the national.  I  think
the
reserves should compete against each other for the right to go  into the
Futurity
finals rings, and that should be done at the national  just before the
futurity finals.  I honestly think that would give  some credit to the winner
for
being the winner, while at the same time add  some excitement for the
audience. It
also wouldn't take anything away from  the competition.  There can be only
one
winner in each category  anyway.  Unless you're really into winning another
plaque, there is  no advantage to being the actual winner of a futurity.
Tom  Langlitz

 I seldom disagree with tom but in the case of reserve at the  Futurity. At
the futurity finals we are trying to find the best young dogs in  the country.
When the dogs are shown at the regional level some of the dogs are  shown at a
great disadvantage that would be the Jr. & teenage classes.  Having a reserve
gives the judge the opportunity to give a younger dog who  he might feel has
great potential a second chance with a few more months  development time. That
said I do feel that the entry must be at a certain level  to merit a reserve.
And I also feel the judge should have the option of not  awarding a reserve.
Fred Migliore