[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Unhappy exhibitors

  • From: "terraf" <Terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:01:45 -0600

First off I did not get to go to the National this year for employment
reasons.  I was glued to the computer and cell phone for as much information
as one could get.  Well as I read all the posts and comments I would offer
this: the National was also different for many reasons based on the shape of
the economy.  Remember as we all get older and it might be safe to assume,
that our breed is really made up of an older population, many of whom lost a
lot of money in the market, and could not afford such a venue.  Others were
and are faced with layoffs.  Gas costs took their toll on a lot of budgets.
Then top that off with the past disaster that happened in the area, I think
people just threw in the towel and said maybe next year.  Oh yes then there
was the election...no I won't go there.

The people that did attend were probably the die hards. You all were
fortunate to be able to participate in our National!   That was wonderful!
I also believe that you were apprised of the judges and probably knew what
might be in store.  Now regarding boring....maybe it was because so many of
the rowdy and crazy exhibitors were home.  Maybe those were the people who
would have found something worth celebrating while in Beaumont.  Maybe those
of us at home,  would have helped to shape a different image that is being
written here.  But whatever the reason, can't we just agree that there was a
lot of good dogs that were judged and won?  Let's not take that away from
the winners, close winners and others who really felt they competed at their
best.  Why would we insult these folks who stated they had a good time
because our needs were not met?

Maybe this needed to happen to finally come up with a better way to elect
judges that would satisfy more of the people, to make it more of a level
playing field.  Maybe the Leadership-Board Members with input from the
members, need to come up with an actual ring procedure that has to be
followed to the T.  Gosh if that could happen, maybe AKC would finally get
the All Breed Judges to understand what a temperament test is in the ring.

Everyone has an opinion.  But let's not forget that sometimes we just need
to talk about what positively happened.  After reading these posts all day I
wonder why anyone would ever want to be a part of the process.  Seems
overwhelming and condescending.  You know what they do to young children who
are bored all the time...they get Ritalin!  Just joking!

Terra Fairburn