[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Unhappy exhibitors

  • From: Mary Tripp <mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:45:22 -0600

Makes one feel like months of conditioning were not even necessary.

Just another dog show.

Mary
At 12:35 PM 11/11/2008, Kathaleen Strong wrote:
>Dear Barbara:
>
>Perhaps we may have to bow to your far greater experience; however, I recall
>watching our Intersex judge evaluate dogs on many occasions in the past 23
>years -- there was never a time in my memory that I saw what I saw on
>Saturday.  I have never left intersex judging -- whether as an exhibitor or
>as a spectator, until this year.  I was not exhibiting.
>
>Most of the dogs were exactly as you describe and the GV is a very good
>example of movement that people should strive for.  I liked several of
>eventual dog selects, and several who were not.  I said on several occasions
>at the show, "Most" of the right dogs are there, it's just the process that
>got them there that is in question.
>
>In my opinion, not only a breeder but as an evaluator and spectator, after
>watching the other 3 days of the show, our breed is in need of a stronger
>direction.  In a lot of cases, we have lost a great deal in terms of
>natural, athletic, coordinated motion.  I am used to the nationals when the
>MAJORITY of animals were as I described in my other post, not just a few.
>
>I personally do not believe this year's intersex animals were physically
>tested enough through movement to evaluate them after they were warmed up.
>IMO, the animals who were excused were not physically stressed enough to
>truly evaluate their structure after they had warmed up.  This is a
>disservice to the breed, IMO and to the breeders who either were there, or
>who will be watching the tapes, because anyone who has attended any kind of
>herding, will KNOW that dogs who have the kind of structure that can stand
>the long haul don't exhibit it until they have warmed up sufficiently.  They
>may be watching these tapes and making breeding choices with incomplete
>information -- the kind of information that we have enjoyed in the past
>where the animals are worked harder and longer to ensure soundness.
>
>Maybe it is due to the time constraints that are placed on AKC judges at AKC
>shows -- Because if I'm not mistaken, the important Seiger shows have the
>individual evaluations done on a different day, leaving the next day open
>for vigorous motion.  In any event, this National is over.  Congratulations
>to everyone who won.
>
>Kathaleen
On Behalf Of Barbara or DTA Amidon

>Here we go again knocking the Judging..Anyone in the breed for a few years
>knows what this Judge was like and about how she would Judge..So why show
>under her if you felt she was not about movement..How can you say that and
>see  her Grand Victor who has outstanding movement..Most of her dogs were
>excellant examples well balanced and strong movers..Most knowledegable
>fanciers felt she got the best up front..A shepherd should be a total
>package just not just about motion..I know a few that were not considered
>and they could have been but as only a few received select that is what
>happens..The exhibitors saw the breeders efforts that is what it is all
>about.. we have Judges Judging that never bred much that is the Judging
>system anyone can get elected..On to next year ..Barbara Amidon
>www.amber-german-shepherds.com

Mary Tripp         Mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.tripphill.com TRIPPHILL
KENNELS, H 512-267-2104
Home of Naked Care!   www.makitnmetal.com  Custom metal art for the dog