[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Board Meeting

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:12:04 -0400

I'm not a fan of lawsuits...no matter who brings them.  BUT - I see
something below that I find so offensive that I must speak to it...
"Bylaws not being followed have (has) happened before..." and so on.
        If the bylaws are not followed once, and there are no consequences,
does that mean people can continue to violate them with impugnity?
Obviously this club has members who believe the bylaws serve no
purpose...that they can be ignored and violated at will, and it's perfectly
alright...
am I missing something here?
        What are laws for, anyway?  Do those of you who think that violating
the bylaws is OK think the same is true of other laws?  Of course, in this
particular case, laws of the State of New York were ALSO violated, but I
guess that's OK, too, right?  What about AKC rules...can we ignore those?
Let anyone show in bred by, or show Champions in Novice, let an experienced
obedience handler with many UD dogs compete in Novice A?  Curse one another
out loud at dog shows, or push and shove one another?
    Either we obey ALL the rules or we can throw them out...and if violating
those rules brings no consequences, then we may as well go ahead and throw
them out...you can't have it both ways.  The rules are there for a reason.
If you don't like them, change them...but don't ignore them and then say
"work it out."  That response doesn't work with the AKC or your local law
enforcement agency, so why should it work here?

          I think we should move on with the new Officers and Board and let
the individuals involved in the lawsuit resolve their issues without all
this discussion on the list.  Evan has explained to you all that none of us
will suffer from this...and just because you don't like it doesn't make the
lawsuit go away.  Right or wrong it is done and when it is resolved, we'll
know.  But saying that we can continue to ignore the bylaws is more wrong
than bringing suit.  If we can't adhere to our own rules, why do we have
them?  If there are to be no consequences for violating our own rules,
again, WHY DO WE HAVE THEM?  If people don't want to drag it out, then just
stop talking about it.
   Peggy