[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pretty vs Correct

  • From: caggra@xxxxxxx
  • To: blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:17:56 -0400

Michael,
I applaud your courage to post your thoughts on this subject when many have
been very outspoken on the opposing side.?? I don't know many, if any, handlers
who have not shown a dyed dog or did it themself.?? I guess my viewpoint is
that 1) It started at the top and trickled down to the point where most
handlers had to "keep up with the Jones's"? and 2) It should either be allowed
or not allowed, so that everyone is on an equal playing field.? Right now, the
system says it's not allowed and it sounds like many exhibitors do not agree
with it and yet coloring products, sizzors and many other tools used in
altering dogs are sold at AKC shows, sometimes 10 feet away from the rings that
they are supposedly banned from.?? That is the issue I have with this
subject.??There is no consistency.?

My hunch is that nobody wants to say "yes dyeing and altering dogs is allowed",
but at the same time they don't want to take away from the beauty or "pretty"
of the sport.? I mean?how many?would want to watch Westminster and see an off
white Maltese? or Poodle?? Or a GSD that isn't a beautiful black & glowing
red???
So "their" only option is to say "No - dyeing and altering is not allowed"
officially, but turn their eye from it.?
So, I guess I agree with you Michael...At the end of the day, everyone may have
to just keep trying to keep up with the Jones's.

Jeff