[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pretty vs Correct

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 11:14:35 -0700 (PDT)

So it's important that the hair test at the National also includes hair spray
and other chemicals added to the coat.  I have alot of problems with tight
coats and I wouldn't want to be fooled into breeding to a dog that I thought
had a lush one......the tester should also pick up the dogs feet and make sure
the hair between the toes is not clipped as this gives the appearance of clean
tight feet.     Bad croups can effect the dogs movement.  I'm not sure that the
tester could conclusively determine if grooming was done to hide a bad one and
this might not be illegal anyway (just deceptive), but thinning the croup area
certainly is; that should be looked at.

   I really don't think it's fair that my Bi bitch, with good feet a lovely
lush coat an excellent croup should lose to a lessor enhanced dog; but then
again, if she's a quality bitch, she wouldn't.  :o)

  Cindy

caggra@xxxxxxx wrote:
  I was at an all breed show a?few years?ago and watched a judge excuse 2 or 3
GSDs for having hair spray on their coat.?? The judge touched the coat, smelled
his hand and threw them out of the ring.? I had a Special and was scared
sh*tless to even go in the ring!?? He almost did the same thing to me...He
touched the dogs coat, smelled his hand and said "I suppose you are going to
tell me this is how Ohio water smells huh?"?? He gave me the Breed, but
WOW.???Until then I really didn't know that hairspray and any subsances were
not permitted.?? But here again, 10 feet away from the ring are vendors selling
every spray and illusion that you could possibly need and 10 feet in the other
direction you can hardly see because so much chalk, dust, and powder is being
blown into dogs and up in the air.???Crazy.
Jeff