[ SHOWGSD-L ] PAWS

  • From: "Catherine Murch" <fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:08:04 -0400

Hi Folks;

Peggy asked my to post to the list how you can get your clubs name added to the
list that opposes PAWS. It is very important,
that not only our Parent Club opposes this Bill, but also that our Regional
Clubs take a vote of their membership and add their
name to the list as did the Greater Kansas City GSDC did, and stand behind our
Parent Club, and Carmen.

The letter should be sent to James Crowley, Sec. AKC at 260 Madison Ave. NY,NY
10016 stating why your Club is not in favor
of Bill S1139, the PAWS Bill.  The following should also be cc on this letter:

Dennis Sprung, President AKC
Ron Meaker, Chairman of The Board AKC
James Holt, AKC Lobbyist
Stephanie Lane, Director of Canine Legislation

Also go to the Sportsman's Alliance Group at http://saova.org/1139.html to get
your club listed, I think they request a copy of the
letter sent to AKC. Also the Wisconsin Dog Federation Site and a believe the
North Carolina Dog Federation site is listing all
groups and clubs opposed. The Wisconsin Club is also sending out booklets to my
AB Club about PAWS and why we should be opposed. My husband will be coping them
and we will be handing them out at our Point Shows on Sept 2& 3rd.

We are also looking into an ad in the nationwide addition of the NY Times to
address why we are opposed to the Bill. AKC
ran one last week why they are in favor of this Bill and basically never
mentioned the fancy, only pet owners. Frank feels
that if all the Clubs and Associations chip in, to would not cost each one much
money.  I have not breed a litter in 3 years,
but I do not want my freedom of what I do for a hobby as long as I am not
hurting anyone to be invaded by the government, this
is a hobby and a passion, not a business. USDA should enforce the laws the
currently have on the books for "Puppy Mills"
but they don't, so why are they trying to do this.

Please write letters, and call the Senate and Congressional Committees, do not
let your right be taken away.

Cathy
Kelstar

Catherine Murch