[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: John Q and boy did I step in it!!!!

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:52:27 -0700 (PDT)

When I run into this I tell people that while they may want to experiece birth,
or they want one puppy from their dog, that pregnancy is a dangerous for them
as it is for us.  That for the one puppy they want, they will have 7 others
that need homes.  That the cost of really caring for pregnancy and puppies to 8
weeks is extreme, if you do it right and that there are plenty of ways to
experience these things without creating more life.

  I also tell them my horror story.  Never mind what I went through to get
these pups, all 3 have had life threatening issues and so this really requires
much more careful thought.

  Now the guy I spoke to the other day said while he has no desire for puppies,
he believes that a female should have a heat.  I agree with him but cautioned
him that his wife, at this time, might not want to deal with the mess for a few
weeks but that waiting to the last possble moment is fine.  He has a 2 month
old child, but the neighborhood is not as safe as they had expected and they
want a GSD to be a companion for the wife and 2 kids.  I sent him to Gabby, Hi
Gabby!!! to see about a puppy she has in Naples.
  sheila
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:
  ring...ring...

"Hello, do you have any puppies?"

"No, I'm sorry, but perhaps if you tell me what you are looking for, I can
point you in the right direction."

"A German Shepherd Dog".

(well, duh!)

"Yes, can you tell me if you've had or currently have a GSD or other large
dog, or a little bit about what you are looking for?"

"No, I had spaniels growing up, I currently have four children and a husband
and our family has never had a dog. My husband and I think it's time to
have a dog, and GSDs look nice, I've been looking and I want a girl, but a lot
of people want me to sign a paper saying I'll have her fixed, you know, but I
don't want to do that because I think it's important, you know, for the
children to experience birth".

(So here's where I know I'm not going to hand this lady off to anybody I
know, but why not take a few minutes and gently try to educate?)

"Actually, I don't agree. Breeding, raising puppies, selecting the 'right"
breeding pair to produce dogs with good temperament, that fit the breed
standard while avoiding genetic pitfalls is an awesome responsibility. Just
because a set of dogs "can" reproduce, doesn't mean they "should". Many of us
study pedigrees for quite some time in an effort to breed away from problems,
and I'm sure that's why those breeders you previously called were only offering
puppies on limited registration".

"What's limited registration?"

"It's when papers are issued on a bitch, however her puppies can't be
registered".

"Well, we don't care if they are registered, we always bred our spaniels
growing up and we gave them away. No one cared if they were registered".

"I see, but that doesn't address knowing pedigrees, doing health checks,
doing all you can so that you don't have a litter of puppies with health
problems."

"Well, we bred our spaniels only to other spaniels. We aren't looking to
mix up the breeds, so we won't get health problems".

(Oh boy!)

"I'm sorry, but you certainly can have health problems. What if you didn't
know a pedigree and bred into a line with...(here I pause, because if I say
bloat, DM or mega or EPI, she'll have no idea what I'm talking about, so I
come up with)...epilepsy for instance?"

"Well, that's my clue".

"I beg your pardon?"

"My daughter has epilepsy and she's a beautiful child".

(At this point, we both politely said good-by. Me, I get off the phone
thinking if the family has experienced a child with a health issue and all that
THAT entails, they would understand not breeding a litter of puppies
willy-nilly without knowing what they were getting into, but what do I know?)

For people in the PA are, this gal's name is Kathy Dobson. I'm always
afraid when I take the time and try to educate, all I'm really doing is giving
potential puppy customers the "right" answers for the next person they call. I
don't think that lady would have any problem buying a bitch on limited and
breeding her any way. After all, "they give them away and no one cares if they
are registered".

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)

 between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99