[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: John Q and boy did I step in it!!!!

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:31:56 -0700 (PDT)

One or two heats does indeed increase the risk of mamory cancer, I know, but
this is about balance.  The first heat provides the body with hormones needed
to fully mature an animal.  If they are spayed prior to the first heat, then
the dog never completely matures, and there can be problems like extended
growth of bone that causes other problems later, there is no mental maturity
either, it just stops at the point of spay.

  I have been dealing with this specific issue for many many years, both for
myself and for my clients.  I have seen dogs that never get past being a puppy
in many ways due to early spay.  Even my vet is counseling owners that if they
can care for their dog properly, one heat has advantages.  The risk of cancer
is higher, but on balance, it is better for the dog to have a fully mature body
and mind when possible.

  I see the effects with every lesson I do.  Dogs that are not spayed early
tend to follow the leadership just a little faster and dogs that are spayed
early tend to be a little harder to need more structure and more effort on the
part of the owners.  Some do it and some don't.

  If this guy I spoke to yesterday does spay before the first heat, then so be
it, we will deal with this, but since he wants GSD protection, I vote for one
heat if the wife can take the mopping for a few weeks.  He has a fenced yard,
and knows to watch carefully, or I would not have bothered with having a heat
at all.

  I try to take it on a case by case basis, some can manage a heat and some
cannot.  But my dogs have always had a heat before spaying, when I have had to
spay.  The Rottie had 3 before I got her so she was spayed right away.  She did
die of cancer, lung and bone, but not mammory.  Liddy, who had about 12 8 heats
or so, is fine at 6 years tomorrow.

  sheila
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:
      I wonder why he felt a bitch puppy should experience a heat cycle.  Maybe
it's some sort of cultural thing?

  "Encyclopedia of Canine Veterinary Medical Information
    Reproduction - When to Spay    It is pretty much universally agreed upon by
vets that the best time to spay is BEFORE the first heat period. If a dog is
spayed prior to the first heat, the odds of developing mammary cancer later in
life are less than 1%. If spayed between the first and second heat periods the
risk increases to about 8%. If spayed at any time after the second heat period,
the risk of mammary cancer is about 25% in the dog (same as in an unspayed
dog). There are no reasons not to spay prior to the first heat that I am aware
of. A few dogs do develop incontinence from low estrogen levels after spaying
but this does not appear to be affected much by the time the dog is spayed.
Some dogs just develop this problem after spaying.   There are some health
benefits for the female dog associated with spaying, including freedom from the
complications of birthing puppies, reduced risk of mammary cancer and uterine
infections. Uterine infections (pyometra) are a
 serious problem in dogs due to the way in which they cycle and can easily
result in death. With the obvious benefit of spaying before the first heat and
the lack of any problems that have been proven to occur as the result of
spaying early, there does not appear to be much reason to wait until after a
heat cycle.

I actually include that in my puppy packet and suggest they are spayed anytime
between 6-8 months.

  Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds
    In a message dated 4/15/2008 11:06:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx writes:
  Now the guy I spoke to the other day said while he has no desire for puppies,
he believes that a female should have a heat.  I agree with him but cautioned
him that his wife, at this time, might not want to deal with the mess for a few
weeks but that waiting to the last possble moment is fine.

  It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.

 between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99