[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: John Q and boy did I step in it!!!!

  • From: Sarah Bishop <bliz1998@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:17:09 -0400

<<This sad crap of people breeding for no good reason is not why there are so
many dogs in shelters. The shelters are full of dog that people don't bother
training and then decide the dog is too much trouble. Shelters would be empty
if people did not throw away everything that does not work perfectly for them.>>

Bingo.  I did rescue with a local Collie rescue.  Most of the dogs we as a
group got were 1 - 3 yo unneutered, untrained boys.  They were past the cute
fluffy puppy stage and had little to no manners.  A surgery then a month or two
of good teaching got most of them well on the way to being a wonderful housepet
and companion.  At the other end of the spectrum were the older dogs who
couldn't keep up with a young family and were given to rescue because the
family had "no time".  Those dogs were the hardest to give up once a new family
was found
<<I had a Rottie that I needed for protection for about a month. Once the issue
was over I did not NEED this guard dog any more. I would love to have dumped
her then and gotten another GSD who was not dog aggressive and food agressive
and did not try to purr like a cat and scare the bejeebers out of people when
she was being friendly.....But I did not throw her away or send her back to the
breeder.......I kept her and her problems and worked with her daily for almost
10 years. I did not "get rid" of her until she had only a few painful weeks to
live>>

This I can relate to also.  I got an ACD from a shelter as an obedience/agility
prospect.  She turned out to be a wonderfully easy to train dog and after a bit
of work liked almost every person she met.  But she was extremely animal
aggressive.  I could do anything with her except let her get within grabbing
distance of anything 4 legged.  So now trips to the pet store were stressful,
hanging out after obedience class was stressful, shoot even leaving her in a
kennel while we were on vacation was hard.  We worked and worked with her for
almost 9 years.  Our situation changed and her aggression got worse and the
kindest thing was to euth her.  But the point is for those 9 years while she
was a lot of work in a lot of ways she was more than worth it.  If nothing else
she taught me how to be a better dog owner and trainer.

Sarah
Pack up or back up?use SkyDrive to transfer files or keep extra copies. Learn
how.
http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008