[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Deaf....?

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gailbauman1@xxxxxxx, ShowGSDs <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:03:25 -0800 (PST)

Besides all the jokes, there are several kinds of deafness.  I can no longer
hear well what is said in another room if I am running water or otherwise
making noise closer to me.  I need people to get up to me to talk.  Then I hear
just fine.  There is real "selective deafness", or Mommy Deafness.  Everyone
here suffers from it, dogs and kids and spouse.

  And then there is the idea that your dog is losing her hearing, but that she
can hear fine when her other senses are not being assulated by the world
outside.

  She may not hear you because of ambient noise, or because she is too busy
sniffing to pay attention to her hearing.
  sheila
Gail BAUMAN <gailbauman1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Is there any rationale to this? I have a bitch that will be 12 in August -
when she's outside she doesn't seem to hear me calling for her no matter how
loud, and only knows that I want her to come inside when she sees the light
flick on and off (great when it's dark, but otherwise it's a problem lol!) BUT
- when she's in the house, it seems that she DOES hear me....same pitch of
voice, just softer since I'm using my 'inside' voice instead of my 'outside'
voice. Any rhyme or reason to this? Anyone know how dogs go deaf?